Sunday, April 1, 2012

Week 11 Clear-Data Asset

This week I read about and watched lectures on data, basically just data. Well, and information, and how information is basically just organized/structured data. I had a pretty clear understanding on this week's material, as much of it seems to be information we already discussed, but in more detail. I also learned how data can be organized and brought together in order to make business decisions and not just hunches and how data leverage in the market lies at the center of competitive advantage.

I also read about databases and learned what they focus on, e.g. sales, product returns, inventory, payroll, geographical data and business units. There was a little bit of information that is still somewhat muddy after this week, such as Database Management Systems (DBMS), I mean, I can read about what they do, but actually seeing them in action is a whole other thing.
MinTuit
Image Created by: (Zoli Erdos) http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoliblog/3919429359/
I also learned about data and security, and how that "Big Data" is often targeted by hackers and other aggregators looking to steal data to either use it for profitable gain or to sell to others.

This week's information was jam-packed full of so much information that to explain everything would take many KB of data!

*Permission granted for reuse by Standard YouTube License.

Just know that I read and learned about canned reports, Ad-hoc reporting tools, Dashboards, and Online Analytical Processing (OLAP). I have also linked these terms with websites that can offer a good explanation and offer more meaning than my words could ever offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment