Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 5: Muddy With A Chance of Clear-Presentations

Well I titled this week's blog: Muddy With A Chance of Clear-Presentations.
This week's information was about presentations, some of it showed what to do and some of it was about what NOT to do. I have been doing PowerPoint presentations for years now. Many of them were just for fun and some were for school or work. I know now that many of my presentations would be banned, as they broke probably every copyright rule and had so many animations and such, it would leave you dizzy. In time, I did begin to scale my presentations back but after this week's lesson I know it will take a lot of constraint to try to use what I learned in my next presentation.
Which will not be like this:
PowerPoint Created by: Christopher Ondrako, 2012
This little example I just mad for this blog, as I don't have any real examples on this computer. But still many can get the point. And I just learned how to embed the presentation into my blog using Windows Live-SkyDrive. Now back on point, for the most part the information seemed kind of common sense, I saw some crazy examples of what not to do in PowerPoint and other things that opened my eyes to things that I need to fix myself. Such as the animations and such. I too was one of those who thought animation really gets the attention of the viewer.When all it really is, is a distraction.

One thing that I learned, but is still muddy, is the use of infographics. I haven't really seen these types of graphs before this class and think they are very intriguing, though kind of confusing and too cluttered much of the time.
Infographic: Children's Future Requests for Computers and the Internet
Image Created by: (Latitude Research)  http://www.flickr.com/people/37527143@N03/

Basically, what I took from this week's lesson is, "Less is More." I mean of course the slides shouldn't be blank, but still they shouldn't be cluttered and fill with non-essential items that don't pertain to the presentation. Important "Do's" are to Format and Style the presentation to make it appealing. Use a clear and professional font type, and use colors and themes that gel very nicely with the message being projected from the presentation.

*Permission granted for reuse by Standard YouTube License.


No comments:

Post a Comment